[HacktionLab] late homework - anyone speak Mediawiki?

Tom Lord toml at aptivate.org
Fri Oct 5 11:46:16 UTC 2012

> probably a bit late for now, but maybe in the future....
>
> could google maps be avoided, and use something else instead like
> openstreetmap.org ?? not leaking IPs to mass corporation that way (and
> there may even be possibility of getting the uk map tiles for use
> ourselves, which would eliminate all these problems).
>
> solidarity,
>
> 	--gdm

Hey GDM

Thanks for the comment - yes, as per somewhere in the recent thread I
totally agree that openstreetmap will be the way to go. It's just using
google maps at the moment because we're copying boilerplate code to make
it work, in order to get something viewable at the weekend. It may even
just need one line changing... I don't know, I don't understand enough
about the technology at the moment to say but I don't think it should
hurt it. Maybe we can try that tonight when we get to the conference.

I've had far less time than I'd hoped to work on it because I'm
simultaneously buying supplies for the gathering and sorting out the
agenda, which I'd hoped to avoid :-)

So, I think this is a bit like setting it up with an https certificate -
it can probably happen over the next couple of weeks, and in the interim
it's not likely to become the most used site in the UK and attract a lot
of attention, despite my best efforts.

cheers,
Tom.