[HacktionLab] stripping exif and other data from images

Mick Fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Thu Oct 18 14:32:07 UTC 2012

Hi there,

This is part work related  but relevant!

Are there good open source tools for doing stripping exif tags etc from
images.

a) on the desktop?
b) an an online service , ideally one we trust
c) as part of wordpress / drupal etc (maybe non plug in approaches are
good)

Here are some resources that I've found but I'm not sure about them
really. It would be good to get feedback and experiences.

a)
Irfanview
http://diggfreeware.com/free-utilities-to-remove-exifiptcxmp-metadata-from-images/
frankly horrible looking freeware mostly  (i'm such a snob)

commandline in ubunut
http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/howto-strip-jpeg-metadata/
http://blog.techfun.org/2009/11/how-to-remove-exif-data-from-jpeg-files-in-ubuntu/

b)