[HacktionLab] stripping exif and other data from images

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Thu Oct 18 16:15:39 UTC 2012

On 18/10/12 16:21, bou wrote:
> well, i do it with the gimp; i set it up and then now all myimages are
> stripped of the exim data just by opening and saving them with gimp.

Hi,

There's a commandline/perl tool called exiftool. You can remove exif
tags on all the files in a directory.

Here's an example:

Show all the current EXIF data for a canon jpg:
$ exiftool -a -canon -g1 test.jpg
- ---- System ----
File Name                       : test.jpg
File Size                       : 796 kB
- ---- IFD0 ----
Camera Model Name               : EX-Z4
- ---- ExifIFD ----
Date/Time Original              : 2012:10:13 13:12:31
Exposure Compensation           : 0
Metering Mode                   : Multi-segment
Flash                           : Auto, Did not fire
Focal Length                    : 5.8 mm
White Balance                   : Auto
Contrast                        : Normal
Saturation                      : Normal
Sharpness                       : Normal
- ---- Composite ----
Aperture                        : 2.6
Image Size                      : 1280x960
Shutter Speed                   : 1/500

Get rid of it all:
$ exiftool -all= *.jpg
    1 image files updated

Check its gone:
$ exiftool -a -canon -g1 test.jpg
- ---- System ----
File Name                       : test.jpg
File Size                       : 795 kB
- ---- Composite ----
Image Size                      : 1280x960

There are Perl bindings if you want to build some sort of detagging web
service.

Cheers,

> On 18/10/12 15:32, Mick Fuzz wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> This is part work related  but relevant!
>>
>> Are there good open source tools for doing stripping exif tags etc from
>> images.
>>
>> a) on the desktop?
>> b) an an online service , ideally one we trust
>> c) as part of wordpress / drupal etc (maybe non plug in approaches are
>> good)
>>
>> Here are some resources that I've found but I'm not sure about them
>> really. It would be good to get feedback and experiences.
>>
>> a)
>> Irfanview
>> http://diggfreeware.com/free-utilities-to-remove-exifiptcxmp-metadata-from-images/
>> frankly horrible looking freeware mostly  (i'm such a snob)
>>
>> commandline in ubunut
>> http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/howto-strip-jpeg-metadata/
>> http://blog.techfun.org/2009/11/how-to-remove-exif-data-from-jpeg-files-in-ubuntu/
>>
>> b)
>> http://www.exif-remove.de/
>> includes this funny service - http://www.exif-remove.de/censor-bar/
>> most indymedias do this I guess -
>>
>> c)
>> http://drupal.org/project/mm_exif
>> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wp-smushit/
>> http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/exif-remove-imagemagick/

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK