[HacktionLab] groupware (iCal stuff)

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Tue Sep 4 10:09:57 UTC 2012

On 04/09/12 10:22, Martin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> not sure whether this belongs here or better on [aktivix-discuss], but here it
> is.
>
> So let's say there's a group of a few dozen people geographically spread
> around who need to coordinate stuff like public meetings and internal
> meetings, in particular dates.
>
> Obviously, some sort of groupware solves exactly that problem.
> Actually, just having a web calendar with iCal integration is all that is
> needed at this point.
>
> Of course, companies like Google offer to host such thing
> (calendar.google.com) but if one is slightly concerned about privacy (the
> calendar does contain internal meetings), do you guys know of any other, more
> secure options? More secure here can mean: no one can accidentally click
> "share with the world" or to kick in your door they need a
> Swedish/Icelandic/Russian warrant etc.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Hi,

Here at New Internationalist we're using a self-hosted Davical
http://www.davical.org/ CalDAV server delivered over SSL. Its got
relatively sane user set up -- you can make work groups and give people
access to the calendars that they need.

You can have people access their calendars through Lightning on
Thunderbird and we've got people using it on their iPads, iPhones,
Androids and such if that's your bag. The downsides are that it'll take
a bit of setup, its closely tied to postgresql and there is only the
CalDAV interface for clients.

Our setup is that each person has their own private calendar and we have
shared group calendars. You could make publicly shared personal
calendars if you needed -- so people could book in a meeting with you or
something.

We used to (theoretically) use Horde, but in reality nobody actually
used it because it was too much of a faff and it looked nasty.

Cheers,

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK