[HacktionLab] ideas for basic system for movement support gathering

JimDog theinnercityhippy at riseup.net
Thu Sep 20 08:48:59 UTC 2012

+1

Then -1 for using Facebook ;)

----- Reply message -----
From: "Alan Dawson" <aland at burngreave.net>
Date: Thu, Sep 20, 2012 00:05
Subject: [HacktionLab] ideas for basic system for movement support gathering
To: "Tom Lord" <toml at aptivate.org>
Cc: <hacktionlab at lists.aktivix.org>

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 06:06:29PM +0100, Tom Lord wrote:
> Hello again...

hi!

> So, as promised:
>
> I'm thinking that the initial Thing that might be useful at the MSG
> would have the following functionality. I'll add this up on
> http://lopad.org/msgtech (like a pirate pad, that we run) in case
> email is a messy way to keep track of thinking.

To be negative,

The whole thing sounds like a complete waste of time, anybody remember the great networkx aggregator ? Or the nextgen indymedia setup ?

It's just a giant software artefact that will become a millstone to update and out of date about 10 minutes after it's ever finished.

But don't let that stop you!

If I were to offer positive thoughts I would say

Decentralisation and federation are the strengths of the movement.

Direct people toward existing radical tech resources. Don't rebuild the wheel.
There is a bunch of decentralised tech resources at https://techtoolsforactivism.org
that already do 90% of what you want.  The only thing missing is centralised directory.
But if that's what you want then we already have facebook ?

Regards,

--
Alan Dawson