[HacktionLab] Fwd: Re: Buying a domain name anonymously

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Wed Sep 26 12:27:37 UTC 2012

On 25/09/12 20:19, penguin wrote:

> On 25/09/12 20:11, Charlie Harvey wrote:
>> On 25/09/12 19:55, penguin wrote:
>>> Prepaid credit card (i.e. one you can pay cash for)? And (obviously)
>>> make sure you're browsing anon when buying the domain.
>>> http://www.moneysupermarket.com/prepaidcards/
>>>
>>> HTH

>> Alternatively:
>> http://www.domains4bitcoins.com/
>
> I'll confess that I don't really understand bitcoins, but wouldn't you:
> a) still have to pay currency for them at some point, and/or
> b) make sure that you're being anon with the peer that you're p2ping as
> each coin has a (potentially identifiable) key?
>
> High chance I've misunderstood

Hi,

a. You mine them or go to eg. http://freebitcoins.appspot.com/

b. Yep, there are various approaches to de-anonymising transactions cf
eg: http://arxiv.org/abs/1107.4524 . And a possible way to anonymise
more strongly is given at: https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Anonymity

Cheers,

>> If you're buying prepaid cardss, get them from a town you don't live in,
>> wear a hat when buying and wait a month before using -- that will
>> mitigate the danger of getting CCTVed a bit...

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** We offer a range of design, production, editorial, publishing and
mail order services. See http://nin.tl/hire-ni **

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK