[HacktionLab] Free Cake & Learn to Encrypt Email & Data (and browse the web without being tracked)

Mick Fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Thu Dec 5 11:50:58 UTC 2013

Hello Friends,

Hope you are still doing your computing it in the community.

I've been doing some work with Manchester FSFE and our local version of
the Open Rights Group to put on a Cryptoparty.

There's been a lot of interest and support for it. I'd totally recommend
doing them in your cities / locations.
People are now more open to these ideas and sharing what they know.

My main input will be bringing the Tech Tools for Activism as I think
it's a much better format for people new to this than the really
extensive but maybe too long Cryto party manual.

I'm going to do some more work on the Tech Tools for Activism website
this winter, if you are up for helping that would be great, please let
me know if so.
There are plenty of roles you don't have to be a techie.
You might be a writer, a reviewer, fact checker, naysayer, fear-monger,
cheerleader, hand holder, noddy holder. etc.

Hope you are all good!
Mick

  "For Normal Privacy Please Encrypt Your Data"

Saturday 7th December - Mad Lab 36-40 Edge Street, Manchester M4 1HN
<http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=36-40+Edge+St,+Manchester,+M4+1HN&sll=53.484215,-2.236311&sspn=0.000833,0.001617&g=m4+1hn&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=36-38+Edge+St,+Manchester,+Lancashire+M4+1HN,+United+Kingdom&ll=53.484118,-2.236311&spn=0.001666,0.003235&z=18>

(Between Thomas St and the Craft Centre, opposite A Bar Called Common)

1.30pm - Free Entry - Cake provided
Event supported by Manchester Open Rights Group
<http://manchester.openrightsgroup.org/> and Manchester FSFE
<http://wiki.fsfe.org/groups/Manchester>.

encrypt by default

If you would like to learn how to ensure normal, every-day privacy when
using your computer, tablet or mobile phone, then come to
CryptoParty-Mcr. <http://www.cryptoparty-mcr.org/events/>You can learn
simple and effective ways to encrypt your emails and chat, and how to
browse the internet anonymously. By using encryption, you can protect
your privacy, make sure you do your job properly (if you handle
sensitive data), and help to protect the privacy of others, including
political and environmental activists from all around the world.

Our Next Event will be on the 7th of December
<http://www.cryptoparty-mcr.org/events/>- tickets are free and cake will
be provided. Bring your phone, tablet, laptop etc!

We thought how can we make people think about why we don't use
encryption by default. We came up with the following text.

"When we stand at a cash machine or at the reception desk of the doctors
surgery, we expect people to keep their distance. When we work on our
laptops, text our friends or read a book in a public place -- we don't
want people to lean over our shoulders. When we sit and talk in a café
or on the train, we feel uncomfortable when someone appears to be
listening too intently. In the physical world we expect normal,
every-day privacy... so why do those same rules not apply on-line?"

If you can't make it I run an online course at P2PU on how to encrypt
your email which you could try out.
https://*p2pu*.org/en/groups/*encrypt*-and-sign-your-*email*/
<https://p2pu.org/en/groups/encrypt-and-sign-your-email/>