[HacktionLab] 7/2: What Digital Future?

Martin mra at aktivix.org
Tue Feb 5 09:31:00 UTC 2013

Hey,

this might be of interest to some people here:

Cheers,
Martin

=====
What Digital Future?
Fireythings
Thursday, 7 February 2013 from 11:00 to 17:00 (GMT)
Windsor Eton, United Kingdom

A day of discussion and workshops.

The last 30 years has seen an increase in our dependence on digital
networks, altering how we work, how we spend our leisure time, how we
consume and how we construct our relationships. Digital technology is
often heralded as the harbinger of progressive change but what are the
social, environmental and personal costs of a digital future? What
environmental constraints exist that could  limit the expansion of
digital technologies?  Can the internet really be decoupled from
consumerism?What are the psycho/social implications of the internet?

You are invited to explore these questions with us, alongside academics
and other interested parties at our day long free symposium ‘What
Digital Futures’.

The day so far;
3d Printing – Behind the Hype
Malcolm Napier, e-mpirical Ltd, 3forme and TVRRUG - @malcolmapier1

The Replicator Moment
Facilitated discussion led by Ben Lear,  Shift Magazine  @Ben_in_Manc

Bitcoin - finally fair money?
The Wine & Cheese Appreciation Society (of Greater London) @portandcheddar

Digital pathways to Happiness and Autonomy?
Federico Campagna, Through Europe Collective @FedCampagna

Inbox: Memory and New Technology
Victoria Mapplebeck, Writer, Director and Senior Lecturer -  Royal
Holloway, University of London

Breakdown in Doxa? Communication, Action and Politics within Network Culture
A talk by Aaron Peters - Novara Media , @aaronjohnpeters

Remote Presentation via Skype (title tbc)
Dr. Garnet Hertz, Artist in Residence and Research Scientist, Department
of Informatics, Bren School of Information and Computer Sciences,
University of California, http://www.conceptlab.com

Digital Dreamtime
Screening and Discussion with Marc Fisher, Author of Capitalist Realism
, @kpunk99

More Speakers added soon.

To contribute to this event, please contact Seth Wheeler at

seth at fireythings.com or via www.fireythings.com
--
:: gnupg :: key http://bit.ly/L7orrh :: howto http://bit.ly/LUlTaF ::
:: xmpp/jabber/googletalk :: mra at jabber.ccc.de
:: otr fp :: FACF06CD 76EFDC2F BE4BFC02 C4061EF9 A271F1B5