[HacktionLab] Organising platforms

m marmar at ucrony.net
Mon Jan 28 09:39:23 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Reel News had a meeting last night and will start involving a lot more
people than before. So we had the issue of communication come up. We're
about 12 people atm, and will set up an email list to get everyone in
touch with everyone.

But then someone suggested a facebook group, and generally people
responded very positively to that. I raised objections, mostly based on
not wanting to put our communication infrastructure in the hands of an
unaccountable corporation, and people seemed happy enough to drop the idea.

Now, I would have loved to suggest an alternative. But nothing that came
to mind seemed like the obvious choice.

Here is what we'll need: Some kind of events calendar, ideally sortable
into different sorts of events, and some ability to sign up for doing
one event or another. Filming at protests, doing stalls at conferences
and festivals, screenings...

To do lists or similar, where tasks can be assigned to one or more people.

Discussions about different topics, e.g. coverage, outreach,
subscriptions...

It would be important to have an intuitive user interface, and low
learning curve to get into it.

It would also be good if it was something that we could either run
ourselves without much maintenance, or we can back up locally.

Any thoughts?
xmara