[HacktionLab] can we recommend crabgrass still? is the current version being maintained?

Tom Lord toml at aptivate.org
Tue Jun 4 13:16:46 UTC 2013

It seems to be my job to redirect people to tools today :-)  Here's
another one!

On 04/06/13 13:30, Ruben Pollan wrote:
> Quoting Tom Lord (2013-06-04 13:43:12)
>>> I've had a lot of success with http://co-activate.org for community
>>> group organising; mostly because it provides self-manage mailing lists
>>> for projects.
>>>
>>> Its an instance of a piece of free software called OpenCore that's made
>>> out of the Plone CMS which I know nothing about. I guess we could chat
>>> about running an instance of it as a crabgrass alternative.
>>

>> Think that's http://coactivate.org having poked about :-)
>
> At spain the most of the activists use https://n-1.c/
>
> It is an installation of lorea.org, free software development by hacktivists
> based on elgg.

I think it's https://n-1.cc

Personally, I think sharing experience of collaboration tools like this
and being able to talk to groups about their pros and cons and being
aware of the level of tech barriers to entry for each, is/would be a
GREAT resource. Kind of like the tech review that Mick has a workshop
on, and made concrete like "online resource put together during
gathering to show how different people get different things done".

I think a lot of groups flounder around at the basic "getting our shit
together" stage and quickly hit barriers like drowning in email, or not
being able to remember who said they would be buying the sledgehammers,
or no-one being able to edit the web page for 5 months because Freddy
moved to f*ing London :-)  Obviously this is not the only reason groups
flounder. However the tech side of things is a noticeable chunk of being
able to organise, in my experience.

cheers,
Tom.