[HacktionLab] BarnCamp - invitation to Maaland gathering, 13-18.7., Kemiö, rural SW Finland

andrew paterson agryfp at gmail.com
Thu Jun 13 13:12:45 UTC 2013

Dear Hacktionlab list,
Greetings from Helsinki!
I understand you are in post-event phase, after BarnCamp 2013, which
looked great. Well done and hope you had some rest.

After an exchange with Mike (Harris) today in email,
I extend an invitation to some one in Hacktionlab network who has
experience of (maybe organising or attending) BarnCamp over a couple years.

I write as representative of a Finnish cultural non-profit association
which runs Pixelache: http://www.pixelache.ac/about
You can learn best about our approach & development, including our
activities last year from here: Report/Portfolio 2012 (low res):
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/110399725/pixelache_helsinki_2012_portfolio_240113.pdf

I am coordinator/facilitator of an around-the-year outreach & education
programme, and in mid-July (13-18th July) as part of this programme, we
are organising an event called 'Maaland' in collaboration with Latvian
partners RIXC (http://renewable.rixc.lv)..

We currently have an open call for 'Maaland' which explains a bit more:
http://www.pixelache.ac/blog/2013/maaland-open-call-for-workshops-13-18-7/

We have an opportunity to invite a few international guests..
And we are inspired by what you have been doing in BarnCamp over the
years, and in particular exploring open-source culture and appropriate
technology relations in a rural setting..

So ideally, we would like to invite someone from BarnCamp to join us in
Finland on those dates to share your experience, and learn more about
your approach and network.

The format of our event is open plan style, and will be informal with
about 10-15 persons, so easygoing, but with remote
contributions/connections. There will be a core Pixelache group of 5-6
who stay the whole time, and we expect others to come and go over the
days, including locals & holiday-makers in the area.

Our event is a small-scale gathering to brainstorm & plan ahead. I hope
in the future something like BarnCamp could take place via Pixelache..

We've had a good range of 'camp' -type experiences towards this
direction, and our annual festival last month had a 'camp' like event on
an island near Tallinn, Estonia.. (although it was largely devoid of IT
and more a social-exchange event:).. If you are curious, see second part
of our festival video which came out a few days ago:
https://vimeo.com/68009918

.

If it is not possible for someone from BarnCamp to travel, maybe we can
arrange a remote link up (as you can see from the call, there is also
opportunity to share some video documentation)

The time for arranging travel is a little tight, with us only being 1
month away.

I look forward to hearing from you.

my best regards,
andrew