[HacktionLab] Proposed talks

Ben Green ben at bristolwireless.net
Sun Mar 17 12:01:08 UTC 2013

Quoting Steve Woods <woodsy at bristolwireless.net>:

> Quoting Mike Harris <mike at mbharris.co.uk>:
>
>> A note to all as well is that the workshops do need to be clearly
>> beginner to intermediate.  I suggest if there's lots of terminology
>> involved in some technical explanations that it might be good to support
>> them with hand-outs in the form of a glossary.
>
> Will some sessions have the nerd gag in operation as per the last
> Barncamp? I felt that worked quite well & meant those timid of
> terminology didn't feel left out.

I personally hope that once again the Barncamp will be seen as an all
knowledge levels event. I want full nerd gag in operation for all
sessions.

A glossary is a good way of getting roung this, particularly if people
are given the glossary way before the workshops. People should have a
chance to bend the ear of someone who knows what they are talking
about beforehand.

Nerd gag means nobody gets left behind, but if we can get ourselves a
bit more clued up before the workshops, we can progress further with
them. I believe this should be the responsibility of the people
leading the workshops to do.

Another way of making sure people aren't confused or intimidated by
terminology is to stop regularly during workshops to check nobody is
confused, and field question about stuff.

More idea for this would be very helpful.

2p

Cheers,
Ben (nerd)