[HacktionLab] Proposed talks

johnc johnc at aktivix.org
Sun Mar 17 18:54:34 UTC 2013

Hi,

1) Nerd Gag:
The proposed talks will not be very technical and will be more
concerned with the political, economic and social ramifications of
using these tools. I would present nothing more  complex than a top
level block diagram of how they worked and also a demonstration. E.g.
making a phone call with jitsi, a skype-like program. Technical info,
including installation and configuration will be available on a wiki I
will set-up.

2) Wiki:
I don't have an account on the wiki and new account registration has
been disabled. Can you create me an account: johnc, (if not in use)?

3) When I got to https://hacktionlab.org it says bad scary things, me
no happy :-(

Non geeks/nerds look away now:
When I try to retrieve  the above page with my browser (firefox) a
self signed certificate for hacktivista.net is served giving the
reported error:

hacktionlab.org uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is not trusted because it is self-signed.
The certificate is only valid for hacktivista.net

(Error code: sec_error_untrusted_issuer)

If I bypass the http redirect by either setting:

network.http.redirection-limit=0

in firefox

OR

echo | openssl s_client -connect hacktionlab.org:443

from the CLI.

I get another self signed certificate for sigsys.co.uk.

If we get a free cert from https://www.startssl.com/ we can avoid
these errors so as not to deter less technical users :-).

Thanks.

Regards,
John

On 17/03/13 09:37, Mike Harris wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Nice suggestions.  Can you add them to the Wiki page at
> https://hacktionlab.org/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2013_ideas_scratchpad

please?