[HacktionLab] Proposed talks

johnc johnc at aktivix.org
Mon Mar 18 02:11:51 UTC 2013

Hi,

I clicked on "Saved revisions" at:

https://pad.riseup.net/p/barncampworkshops2013.

After entering the text below:

There was nothing else that resembled a button saying save or submit
that I could see, (using iceweasel 17.01)?

Cheers,
John

Title: How to build your own telephone system
Proposer: John Cahill
Duration: 30 minutes
Level of technical skill: none
Nerd factor: Medium
Required: Projector
source software.
* Until a few years ago a handful of companies controlled the
telephone system in both the UK and the rest of the world.
* Telephone calls went over a pair of copper wires from your home to
an "exchange" where electronic circuits switched these calls depending
on the phone number you required.
* The numbers were issued and controlled by the same monopolies who
owned the wires and the exchanges, with the blessing of governments.
* The ability to make calls over the internet, (similar to skype), has
thrown something of a spanner into the works.
* It is now possible to build telephone systems entirely from free and
open source software.
* These systems are built to open standards so they can talk to each
other. i.e we can federate them.
* I will demonstrate such a system and give a summary of how it works.

Title: A People's Bank
Proposer: John Cahill
Duration: 45 minutes
Level of technical skill: none
Nerd factor: Medium
Required: Projector
* The mission: To establish a people's bank based on the principles of
community, co-operation and mutualism.
* I'm planning to kick off a project in May, (in Oxford) , called
oxcred (see: oxcred.org.uk).
* It is inspired by the TEM project in Volos, Greece. I will show a
short documentary about this project.
* It will use the free and open source cyclos banking software, (see
cyclos.org).
* I will discuss how this system will work in practice and demonstrate
the cyclos banking software.