[HacktionLab] Workshop proposal for BarnCamp: How static HTML saved my marriage

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Fri Mar 22 10:46:15 UTC 2013

On 22/03/2013 10:09, johnc wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd second a building a website with wordpress workshop. I think that
> would be far more accessible.
>
> I'm more interested in a workshop that focuses on how to layout a good
> looking site from a visual design and usability point of view rather
> than on the particular widgets involved in building one. I find the
> design/aesthetic aspect of putting a web site together just as
> challenging as the tech stuff. Wordpress has the obvious advantage
> that it's got some pretty themes etc. available out of the box.
+1 I'm not much of a designer, though I can tweak CSS.

Am thinking then perhaps a session that covers the following:

* registering a domain and pointing it at your provider
* getting a blog with a provider (n23 in this case)
* planning your site: site map, menus
* theming your site: using default theme, skinning and tweaking

> Maybe network23 people could do a stall or flyers before the workshop
> promoting that platform?
I've proposed we do these 'microslots' things:

http://hacktionlab.org/hacktionlab/index.php/BarnCamp_2013_ideas_scratchpad#Microslots_.285-10mins.29

And we were talking about doing a slot for N23, that might be good
enough to promote the workshop.

We could do a network install of Wordpress on a local box that people
can use on site to play with setting up their blogs.  Anyone who then
wants one permanently on N23, or another Wordpress host, can export it
and import it.

How does that sound?