[HacktionLab] mutli-language subtitles for online video

m marmar at ucrony.net
Wed Mar 27 19:39:24 UTC 2013

On 27/03/2013 16:18, Charlie Harvey wrote:
 > Grab a copy of your video, get jwplayer installed and pointed to the
 > video. Then you can specify multiple caption files which are typically
 > text files stored on your webserver (srt files or the new html5 format
 > which I can't remember the name of).

That would mean we'd have to host the video ourselves, no? We were going
to put it on vimeo and youtube, as to not have to think about bandwidth
and also for the serendipity factor.

On 27/03/2013 18:00, Mick Fuzz wrote:
> DotSub I think will allow this.

Sadly, they have a 25 minute limit. Our film is 40 minutes. Other than
that I will definitely have a closer look, it does look rather neat.

> Or create subs in Amara and transfer to YouTube - apparently that's a
> popular video sharing site and allows multilanguage subs:)

We might actually end up using youtube. We were going to go with Vimeo
as primary thing and use the Amara embed code to add titles, but it
doesn't seem like a great plan at this point.

Thanks for the responses and links, I'll keep looking around too.

xm

--
COMING SOON:
Into the Fire - The Hidden Victims of Austerity in Greece

More: http://intothefire.org
Like: http://fb.me/intothefirefilm
Follow: http://t.co/Moax1smz