[HacktionLab] Film suggestion

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Fri May 17 14:17:41 UTC 2013

On 17/05/13 14:39, kriptick wrote:
> I presume there will be video documentaries showing at various times?
> I'm suggesting an ancient BBC Horizon one called Now the Chips are
> Down which would go well with my how chips are made wrkshp & may also
> be relevant to Digital Technology & the History of Capitalism.
> There's some very nice footage of chips being made back then. This
> was screened in 78 when the newly emerging microprocessors were known
> about by very few people and it caused a real sensation - showing
> desktop computers reading books aloud and understanding the human
> voice which were amazing feats for then. Callaghan, the caretaker PM
> of the time was so bowled over that he almost immediately funded chip
> manufacture and development in this country. The docu contained all
> sorts of dire warnings about how automation would cause colossall job
> losses and the dawn of a new leisure society. That bit certainly
> hasn't come true but it's an interesting look back at social history,
> technology and really awful shirt fashions of the 70s.

Hi,

Continuing the bad shirt theme, I suggest Micro Men --
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00n5b92 its a drama about the battle
between Sinclair and Acorn computers in the 80s and its kind of fun.

Cheers

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Manager
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://bit.ly/gpgkey/

** Celebrating 40 years of doing the right thing: New Internationalist,
est. 1973**

*Amnesty Media Award winner 2012*

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK