[HacktionLab] Is HacktionLab a 'safe space'?

naomi at aktivix.org naomi at aktivix.org
Mon May 20 14:42:01 UTC 2013

Beings,

There is clearly a range of attitudes and opinions on the list, and I
think it would make for a useful and fun (and with good facilitation,
hopefully not too heated) real-life discussion. How about we turn it
into a workshop on diversity in tech / activist gatherings, what safe
spaces mean and how to cultivate them?

I don't have much activism experience (well, not this century anyway),
but as a woman working in computing for the last 5 years, maybe I
could run the workshop together with someone who does? It doesn't have
to be someone who considers themselves in the minority in any
particular way.

Whether or not to have some sort of a code of conduct, well, maybe we
could talk about that at the workshop, and if it comes out as
something people feel the need for, then think about it for next
barncamp?

Naomi