[HacktionLab] N23/Wordpress session: Wordpress themes and porting your site to Wordpress

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Tue May 21 15:29:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

More ideas on the N23/Wordpress session:

How about covering the basics of Wordpress themes with a focus on moving
an existing site to Wordpress?

This would cover:

* The theme basics: the header, footer, sidebar, content and menu.
* Using a tool like Wget to pull the existing site into some static HTML.
* Chopping up the downloaded HTML into the various bits (footer, header,
sidebar, etc) and turning it into a theme.
* Moving main content to be dynamic CMS content, including the blog.
* Moving over the menu.
* Other bits to remember (such as moving the DNS and setting up
redirects for any old page URLs)
* Where next?

I think it'd be a more technical but good introduction to hacking up
some HTML, CSS and basic PHP with the basics of Wordpress themes.

Is anyone out there interested in this and do any of you have a suitable
site?  The workshop would be hands on, but there's a limit to what would
be achievable (and my knowledge), so a basic site with, say, up to 6
largely static pages and a blog would be about our limit.
Just to be contentious, I am considering using my own Drupal 6 site as
my demo of how to get off Drupal and onto Wordpress! :P

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893
0: http://mbharris.co.uk/keys/pgp.html