[HacktionLab] Rails girls

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Thu May 30 10:49:41 UTC 2013

On 26/05/2013 21:50, llanos wrote:
> Some of the women (or men) on this list might be interested on this
> project
>
> http://railsgirls.com/
>
> They deliver workshops and organize coding sessions to help women to
> get programming ruby on rails. I know they did a workshop in Cardiff
> and there's an event in June in Bristol.
>
> http://railsgirls.com/bristol
>
> It seems it was born in Finland, but nowadays is global and non-profit
> volunteer community.
>
> Cheers
> Llanos
cool.  am not a massive fan of Rails, but that's from being from a
non-RAD background.  These web tools can mean that people develop web
apps quickly that aren't actually that well designed or programmed, or
easy to maintain.   It's a similar situation with PHP in general and
with Drupal I think.

It's not that none of these make you produce bad apps, just that as well
as learning how to use an app, you also need to learn how to do
structured programming and program design to produce good stuff.

that said, our very own BarnCamp sign-up is a Rails app, built by
Yossarian, who built Hyperactive in it and really rates it.  If anyone's
interested in a copy of the Sign-up app code, let the list know.