[HacktionLab] Wordpress file permissions and ownership: command line versus dashboard

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Wed Apr 2 09:42:28 UTC 2014

On 02/04/14 08:11, Mick - Clearerchannel.org wrote:
> They can't put it into the plugins directory
>> themselves as the files as owned by the web server user and the user
>> does not have root access.

Hi,

I got caught by the reply-to as well.

On the *nix permissions you would give group write to www-data and add
the sftp user to www-data (on a debianlike system -- its www on
freebsd). Like:

$ sudo chmod -R 775 /var/www/wordpress/wp-plugins
$ sudo useradd -G www-data sftp-user

Course now your users can write arbitrary (executable) data to your
plugins folder. Which requires extreme bravery and confidence that  your
users know what they are doing.

Cheers,

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 811402
f: +44 (0)1865 793152
w: http://www.newint.org/
k: http://ox4.li/gpgkey/

** Celebrating 40 years of doing the right thing: New Internationalist,
est. 1973**

*Amnesty Media Award winner 2012*

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239. Registered Office:
New Internationalist, 55 Rectory Road, Oxford,  OX4 1BW, UK