[HacktionLab] How t buy a laptop that will work with Linux

mp mp at aktivix.org
Tue Aug 5 18:53:26 UTC 2014

On 05/08/14 20:35, Ben Green wrote:
> Quoting mp <mp at aktivix.org>:
>
>> HP 255 G1 Laptop with Ubuntu
>>
>>     AMD Dual Core E1
>>     4GB RAM + 750GB HDD
>>     15.6" Screen
>>     Webcam + Bluetooth
>>     AMD Radeon™ HD 7310 Graphics
>>
>> http://www.ebuyer.com/620311-hp-255-g1-laptop-with-ubuntu-h6q17ea-abu
>>
>>  £199.98 inc. vat
>>

> That looked like an amazing find, until see this review:
>
> UPGRADED TO UBUNTU 14.04 AND TOUCHPAD DOES NOT WORK - DISAPPOINTING FOR
> A UBUNTU APPROVED BUILD. REALLY WOULD PREFER TO BUY A MACHINE WITH NO
> OPERATING SYSTEM AND LOAD MY OWN AND HAVE CONTROL OF EVERYTHING FROM THE
> START - GET THE FEELING THERE IS A LOT OF HP STUFF LURKING IN THE
> BACKGROUND - MIGHT END UP WIPING THE DISC COMPLETELY AND REINSTALLING

Aha. Seems like someone got it working though:

The Cog
May 30th, 2014, 11:27 PM
HP 255 G1

Delivered with Ubunt 12.04 but I installed Xubuntu 14.04 over it.

Everything works perfectly without any tweaking (as you might expect)
with two exceptions:
* The double-tap in the top left corner of the trackpad doesn't disable it.
* Fn-F12 doesn't toggle the wifi disable.
In my opinion, these are so trivial I haven't even looked for a fix.

The default is that the Fn keys do their "action" and fn-Fn does the
normal program input (e.g. press fn-F11 to go full screen). This is an
option in the BIOS.