[HacktionLab] Conflict minerals [was: Re: How t buy a laptop that will work with Linux]

bou bou at aktivix.org
Sat Aug 9 08:22:32 UTC 2014

On 06/08/14 11:56, mark wrote:
> o think about what they really need, and whether their needs can be
> met by a second hand machine rather than them being seduced by the
> gloss of the new. Keeping old machines in use seems like the best way
> I can find to undermine the trade in conflict minerals, and to
> undermine consumerism generally. Free software is a great enabler for
> this.

Can't agree more.

Been using refurbished machines for a long time (even argos sells them ... )

Now I'm using a samsung small computer, (5, 6 years old?) dunno the
technical name for it but it is as small as a tablet.

Have recently installed Lubuntu and it works a treat.

b.

--

https://network23.org/bou