[HacktionLab] Hi

Mick Fuzz mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Sat Feb 1 12:09:26 UTC 2014

> I'm presenting at a conference in NZ at the weekend called Surveillance,
> Copyright, Privacy: The End of the Open Internet, and I'm going to be
> talking a bit about some of the stuff you guy do (TTFA and running
> workshops giving non-techie explanations of GPG/TOR etc)

I think it's worth mentioning as well that there's a bit of a
groundswell of wider interest in this kind of thing and that events are
happening under the cryptoparty banner. There are events listed up here.
https://www.cryptoparty.in/parties/upcoming
we're doing one in manchester
http://manchester.openrightsgroup.org/

and very much a similar hacklab style but aiming at a wider audience.
i've been tweeting about it to get a wider demographic to these events
pushing that for many people this should be part of their professional
duties, or if they are recreational drug users, etc.

> The presentation I've been putting together is here
> http://prezi.com/x__fkar9-gzd/contesting-control-in-surveillance-societies/
>
> Basically the gist of the talk is that whilst there's been a lot of
> hysteria about how the Snowden/NSA stuff places us within a 1984-esque
> society of total surveillance, there are numerous tools available which
> still provide pretty good levels of privacy, and these have been tools
> that the tech activist community have long advocated people use if they
> want to communicate privately. Where I end up at is the need for
> engagement with publics/communities and educational work/materials to
> communicate the existence and usability of these tools (hence Hacktionlab).
>
> Any thoughts/feedback/corrections would be welcome :-)

there's also very interesting discussions on this list

and here's a quick summary of tools I'm using for cryptoparties

*Guides which act as summaries of tools / concepts*

https://techtoolsforactivism.org/
https://techtoolsforactivism.org/booklet
http://prism-break.org/
https://www.tacticaltech.org/#privacy-and-expression