[HacktionLab] Hi

Sy Taffel sytaffel at riseup.net
Tue Jan 28 21:04:37 UTC 2014

Hey Hacktionlabbers

Hope all is well back in the UK and you aren't all flooded out...

I'm presenting at a conference in NZ at the weekend called Surveillance,
Copyright, Privacy: The End of the Open Internet, and I'm going to be
talking a bit about some of the stuff you guy do (TTFA and running
workshops giving non-techie explanations of GPG/TOR etc)

The presentation I've been putting together is here
http://prezi.com/x__fkar9-gzd/contesting-control-in-surveillance-societies/

Basically the gist of the talk is that whilst there's been a lot of
hysteria about how the Snowden/NSA stuff places us within a 1984-esque
society of total surveillance, there are numerous tools available which
still provide pretty good levels of privacy, and these have been tools
that the tech activist community have long advocated people use if they
want to communicate privately. Where I end up at is the need for
engagement with publics/communities and educational work/materials to
communicate the existence and usability of these tools (hence Hacktionlab).

Any thoughts/feedback/corrections would be welcome :-)

Cheers
Sy