[HacktionLab] Web development language question

naomi at aktivix.org naomi at aktivix.org
Tue Jul 1 08:32:53 UTC 2014

Difficult to make any claims about what will be here in 5 years time
of course, but my money would be on Javascript at both ends. Node.js
for the server, and a front-end app making use of one of the many JS
frameworks out there. I'm using Backbone and finding it a bit of a
learning curve - more of a library than a framework. I've heard good
things about Angular. They all give you an OO / MVC layer to work with
so you can separate model from view and otherwise structure your code
in a way that would be intuitive to a PHP or Java dev. But they are
based on JS as a functional language - you pass around functions, use
callbacks etc - which once you get your head around it, gives you more
than PHP or like ever could.

This stuff has crept up on us over many years (6? 7? 10?) to the scorn
and then increasing incredulity of traditional web devs. At first it
seemed like a fad but it has really grown up now and seems to be here
to stay.

It tends to go with noSQL DBs but that is a separate architectural
decision and there's no reason not to team it up with mySQL.

The JS syntax, once you get functional with it, gets a bit brackety in
a LISP sort of way. But it's worth it and in the future this may
improve. I haven't tried Coffeescript but that is, I believe, an
alternative syntax that may be preferable.

Naomi