[HacktionLab] Web development language question

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Tue Jul 1 09:40:33 UTC 2014

On 01/07/14 08:58, Mike Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've asked this question before to see what people felt, but that was
> well over a year ago so I'll ask it again.
>
> Say you work on a web based service with a lot of legacy code written in
> an older web-scripting language, Perl, and you're wanting to move to a
> newer language for web applications, or even a framework to do new
> development - you're still planning to support the legacy code for a
> number of years - what language and/or framework would you pick?

Hi,

If it was in perl anyway I'd have a look at
dancer(http://perldancer.org/), mojolicious(http://mojolicio.us/) or
catalyst(http://www.catalystframework.org/) to make a frontend, and
gradually transition across.

I'd also consider making a REST content API and using angular.js, or
backbone.js or [insertsomeclevername].js rather than building everything
server side. But that would depend on the project. Maybe I'd just look
for a drupal module or wordpress plugin or write one.

Have to agree with Naomi that Node and javascript has a lot of traction
right now.

There are a lot of interesting things going on on the JVM-based
languages too -- clojure and scala have some really interesting web
frameworks especially if you're building something that needs to scale.

And Erlang has a framework called webmachine for doing web APIs
https://github.com/basho/webmachine/wiki/Overview.

Having said all that, from what I know of it, Django is a solid choice,
specially if you want to learn a bit of python anyway.

Cheers,

> What you'd like to do though is avoid jumping on something that is too
> new and too buzzy - http://ttfa.net/lemonmarket - as you'd like to make
> a technology decision that would be good at least for the next five
> years, if not more, and today's rising star could quite easily be in
> tomorrow's dustbin.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mike.
>
> p.s. and yes it's a work question, but one interesting I think

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 403249
f: +44 (0)1865 403346
w: http://newint.org/
k: http://ox4.li/gpgkey/

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239.

New Internationalist, Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd.,
Oxford, OX4 1JE, UK