[HacktionLab] Web development language question

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 16:08:58 UTC 2014

On 01/07/2014 08:58, Mike Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've asked this question before to see what people felt, but that was
> well over a year ago so I'll ask it again.
>
> Say you work on a web based service with a lot of legacy code written in
> an older web-scripting language, Perl, and you're wanting to move to a
> newer language for web applications, or even a framework to do new
> development - you're still planning to support the legacy code for a
> number of years - what language and/or framework would you pick?
>
> What you'd like to do though is avoid jumping on something that is too
> new and too buzzy - http://ttfa.net/lemonmarket - as you'd like to make
> a technology decision that would be good at least for the next five
> years, if not more, and today's rising star could quite easily be in
> tomorrow's dustbin.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mike.
>
> p.s. and yes it's a work question, but one interesting I think

Thanks for the feedback so far everyone :)

Looks like it could well be a toss-up between Django vs Node/<buzzy>.js

Those of you working with Django: is there a good IDE out there for it
and/or Python?  We currently use Komodo for Perl, which is pretty ok,
but pants in places, and not as good as the Jetbrains IDEs, such as
PHPStorm, RubyMine or InteliJ.

Noone's mentioned Ember.js so far....

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893