[HacktionLab] How t buy a laptop that will work with Linux

Darren mail at vegburner.co.uk
Sat Jul 26 20:57:39 UTC 2014

Refurbished Thinkpads, last of the IBMs so getting a bit old now,
although they were built better than the Lenovos.

Also floss to the core..... boot   (actually notice they have
libreboot now instead of coreboot)

http://shop.gluglug.org.uk/product/ibm-lenovo-thinkpad-x60-coreboot/

On 26/07/14 21:13, Gareth Coleman wrote:
> I've been using thinkpads with ubuntu/debian for years and haven't
> had driver problems yet, even with the exotic bits like fingerprint
> readers.
>
> And I would disagree about the build quality, having opened up many
> brands including all the main ones such as acer, toshiba, dell,
> sony to fix them in the computer cafe.
>
> My opinion is that build quality on thinkpads is about as good as
> you get short of apple, but with less adhesive and weird-ass
> screws. You can get easily get hold of the service manuals which
> document the procedures and spare part numbers. Parts are available
> for laptops even several years old. These comments mainly apply to
> the business-oriented models, not the cheap consumer ones, though.
>
> I suppose the main relationship is between original cost and
> quality, and who the target market is. Business laptops tend to be
> sold on the basis of lower life-time hassle, consumer ones on price
> or colour.
>
> I recently bought a second hand X200s on ebay for £90, and with an
> SSD in it, runs mint debian edition like a dream.
>
> In fact, like cars, a lot of the value dissipates the moment you
> open the box. So why not go for a recent model second hand - get an
> old high-end laptop instead of a new one built down to a budget?
>
> For example if you can stretch to £479 there is a thinkpad x1
> carbon which looks good here:
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-ThinkPad-X1-Carbon-14-120-GB-i5-3427u-1-8-GHz-4-GB-Warranty-2016-/191242517634.

It's so new it still has two years of the manufacturers warranty left!

> I can second the recommendation the thinkwiki - it's an excellent
> resource btw.
>
> good luck
>

> On 26 July 2014 18:22, Ben Green <ben at bristolwireless.net> wrote:
>
>> Quoting Andy S <andys at bristolwireless.net>:
>>

>>> If in doubt: http://www.linux-on-laptops.com/
>>>

>> Though for newer laptops they probably won't be on there. Sadly
>> that's also where you'll find the most issues with linux.
>>
>> The trouble is the driver release cycle. Whereas with Windows you
>> get mainly third party drivers for newer hardware, with linux you
>> have to wait for it to be in the kernel.
>>
>> For your last laptop penguin, that you sold to your brother, what
>> was it and what were the problems?
>>
>> http://www.novatech.co.uk/ - novatech have a thing of about
>> linux compatibility, and sell OS free computers.
>>
>> If you are buying from eBuyer, the comments can be very useful,
>> though not as useful as they used to be when you could filter by
>> OS used.
>>
>> Also, for the one you are thinking of getting I did a search for
>> "Lenovo ThinkPad B5400 linux", which results in the following
>> page:
>> http://www.ubuntu.com/certification/hardware/201308-14055/components/

"The following components are contained in the Lenovo ThinkPad B5400