[HacktionLab] HacktionLab Digest, Vol 75, Issue 13

Mick - Clearerchannel.org mickfuzz at clearerchannel.org
Tue Jul 29 11:02:09 UTC 2014

On 29/07/14 10:52, yossarian wrote:

> It comes with Ubuntu 12.04 preloaded, works fine with 14.04, haven't
> tried Debian.
>
> http://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/xps-13-linux/pd

That is pretty posh innit.

This discussion came at a good time for me as I really needed a new
laptop. My working practices are bad in anycase with having a lot of
applications open at one time and multitasking.

But the whole thing now where you do development using virtual boxes
just slowed down my £150 Lattitude 630 too much.

I offered £200 and got a Lenovo ThinkPad T410s Laptop - Core i5 2.67GHz,
4GB RAM, 128GB SSD .
I reckon it is going to feel pretty posh in comparison.

Thanks for the tip on the SSD Gareth, I probably wouldn't have done that
without that tip, people on the internet say it really is a lot faster.

I'm wondering if there is a list of places in the UK compiles where
people can walk in and get advice or help on 2nd hand and reconditioned
computers and linux.

We used to have arcspace in manchester that was inspired by
Access Space in Sheffield - http://access-space.org/
I guess you guys in Bristol wireless still do it -
http://www.bristolwireless.net/computer-repair/
Durham - https://network23.org/dfs3/

I'd be interested to know of other projects like this in the UK either
full time or pop up.

It seems like the day of the £0 is here.
I get given loads as 'broken'. Then give it a clean, put new heat sink
material on the chip, put 1G of RAM in and it install any flavour or
linux just fine. I've passed on about 8 of these £0 laptops (£10 if it
needs RAM) for friends and projects in the last year without even
trying. It makes you pretty popular for no real cost.

Obviously the concept isn't new, but it's nice to be doing it with
laptops instead of having to have shelves full of dusty old towers.

nice one
Mick