[HacktionLab] hotmail bouncing mail

Marcus Valentine marcus at marcusv.org
Thu Jun 19 09:17:00 UTC 2014

On 18/06/2014 14:01, Marcus Valentine wrote:
> On 18/06/2014 13:55, ekes wrote:
>> On 18/06/14 14:50, Marcus Valentine wrote:
>>> Since last Saturday, hotmail have taken to bouncing mail addressed to
>>> them originating from my server.
>>>
>>> There's nothing that jumps put at from their help page at
>>>
>>> https://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
>>>
>>> Have anyone come across this sort of thing before? Any suggestions?
>>
>> Hotmail are crap, and will accept blacklists of all sorts of things.
>> However, and sadly, the advice in the error message is the only thing
>> you can do:-
>>
>>> Unfortunately, messages from 89.16.161.78 weren't sent. Please contact
>>> your Internet service provider since part of their network is on our
>>> block list. You can also refer your provider to
>>> http://mail.live.com/mail/troubleshooting.aspx#errors.
>>
>> Open a ticket at Bytemark.
>
> Good idea.
>
> Bytemark say
>
> "This is a known issue. I'm going to pass this report to my colleague,
> John, who is looking at the issue."

Bytemark brought my attention to this page:

https://support.msn.com/eform.aspx?productKey=edfsmsbl&ct=eformts

which I hadn't found myself. Filling that form in got me unbanned within
a couple of hours.

Talking of bytemark, I see they are using discourse to run their forums

http://forums.bytemark.co.uk/

Marcus