[HacktionLab] [FM Discuss] ENCRYPT YOUR EMAIL WITH GPG

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Thu Nov 6 09:44:49 UTC 2014

On 05/11/2014 17:29, Mick Clearerchannel wrote:
> Anyone got any thoughts on the below?
>
> I've only done limited things with TB on the Mac.

Off the top of my head, with only a little bit of investigating, the
issue is you need GNUPG on the command line and then you install
EnigMail add-on to TB.

To get GNUPG I know of two methods:

1) Install XCode; the Apple Developer tools. (Not sure if this is really
necessary and it's >1GB download!)
2) Install Brew - http://brew.sh/ and then do
3) brew install gnupg

It's non-trivial in that those are tools for developers/devops and a
non-tech user will probably get stuck.

The other method is GPGTools - https://gpgtools.org/

It was free, but then it went donations, and now it looks like their
going to ask for payment.

If you've got OS X 10.9 or before then you're okay on the free version.

OS X 10.10 (aka Yosemite) is a beta version that may end up a pay version.

that kind of sucks then, as GNUPG is Free Software, so perhaps there's
another way through this.

Hope that helps for now,

> nice one
> Mick
>
> On 05/11/14 17:17, Mick Clearerchannel wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Vitaliy, Lets' see if there is any response from the original writers,
>>
>> Hi Sacha or any other writers on the list.
>> Do you have any thoughts on this below, I know you were around when
>> it was being written.
>>
>> I'll also forward it to the hacktionlab / and Tech Tools lists that
>> I'm on to see if they can help.
>>
>> nice one
>> Mick
>>
>> On 05/11/14 14:48, Vitaliy Grishenko wrote:
>>> Hi guys,
>>>
>>> I am working on translation/update of the ENCRYPT YOUR EMAIL WITH
>>> GPG manual into Russian. There are two major issues, which I would
>>> like to discuss with the developers of the document. Both regarding
>>> OS X tools.
>>>
>>> *Issue 1:*
>>>
>>> The manual contains the following bit of text:
>>>
>>> /"Note on OSX Mail: It is possible to use PGP with the build-in mail
>>> program of OSX. But we do not recommend this because this option
>>> relies on a hack of the program which is neither open or supported
>>> by its developer and breaks with every update of the mail program.
>>> So unless you really have no other option we advice you to switch to
>>> Mozilla Thunderbird as your default mail program if you want to use
>>> PGP." /
>>>
>>> Is hack the right word here? In my opinion we shall rather modify
>>> this section, leaving as disadvantage only the necessity to pay for
>>> the modified GPG tools version for each further major OSX update
>>> <https://gpgtools.org/news> (starting with Yosemite). What do you
>>> guys think? Are there any other disadvantages to be mentioned?
>>>
>>> *Issue 2:*
>>>
>>> The manual says (OS X section):
>>>
>>> "/In the main window you should go OpenGPG > Preferences > Advanced
>>>  (you may need to tick Expert Settings) and in the Override With box
>>> browse to the gpg.exe file in the folder where you installed GPG. If
>>> this doesn't help then try the Enigmail forum./"
>>>
>>> OS X doesn't use .exe files by default. It seems to be a
>>> mistake/copy paste from Windows text. Shall we maybe replace/remove it?
>>>
>>> I look forward to getting your suggestions on these two issues.
>>> Thanks a lot in advance!
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Vitaliy

>> --