[HacktionLab] FYI: Free certificate authority

johnc johnc at aktivix.org
Fri Nov 21 14:14:00 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've some sympathy with this point of view although there are currently
only a few usable alternatives. Moxie's social notary approach is
interesting but still possible to game by creating loads of fake
approvals of a bogus cert, (Cybil attack). The Monkeysphere approach
seems quite promising and there is a browser plugin for firefox also.

I stumbled across namecoin lately which attempts to do decentralised DNS
as well as providing a distributed way of storing the SHA1 fingerprint
of a self signed SSL certificate. It's a fork of bitcoin and everything
is stored in the blockchain. You can register new domains with the .bit
TLD. There is a firefox browser plugin.

See link below for more info.
http://www.freespeechme.org/how-to-register-dot-bit-domains/

I was thinking of seeing how easy it would be to configure other
applications to use this.

Cheers,
John