[HacktionLab] [Android] Firechat and nearby communications

sam at bristolwireless.net sam at bristolwireless.net
Mon Oct 6 10:40:22 UTC 2014

> it seems it's not quite as autonomous/anonymous/secure as you
> might hope or expect, or open-source even!

Seems to offer similar functionality to the FOSS Serval project:

Secure voice calls, text messaging and file sharing over a mobile Ad
Hoc wireless mesh network
http://developer.servalproject.org/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=content:tech:main_page

Main problem with Serval is it's Android only, and I think you need a
rooted device.
iOS is on their roadmap, but I'm not sure if that would require a
rooted phone too.

I'm sure they would appreciate bug reports if anyone wanted to try it
out:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.servalproject&hl=en

Thanks

Sam