[HacktionLab] Web development language question

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Tue Sep 9 11:59:48 UTC 2014

Hi All,

A quick note to say a big thank you for all your input.  I know it was a
while back, but it's taken us a while to work out what to do.

In the end we evaluated Django, Sinatra, Angular, Node.js/Node Express
and Drupal.  We decided to go for using Node, Angular and Drupal to
cover the various parts of our stack.  My personal favourite was Django,
but I got outvoted! :P

On 01/07/2014 08:58, Mike Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've asked this question before to see what people felt, but that was
> well over a year ago so I'll ask it again.
>
> Say you work on a web based service with a lot of legacy code written in
> an older web-scripting language, Perl, and you're wanting to move to a
> newer language for web applications, or even a framework to do new
> development - you're still planning to support the legacy code for a
> number of years - what language and/or framework would you pick?
>
> What you'd like to do though is avoid jumping on something that is too
> new and too buzzy - http://ttfa.net/lemonmarket - as you'd like to make
> a technology decision that would be good at least for the next five
> years, if not more, and today's rising star could quite easily be in
> tomorrow's dustbin.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Mike.
>
> p.s. and yes it's a work question, but one interesting I think

w: http://mbharris.co.uk
t: +44 7811 671 893
0: http://mbharris.co.uk/keys/pgp.html