[HacktionLab] Smartphone privacy & domestic violence

penguin penguin at riseup.net
Wed Sep 17 23:08:26 UTC 2014

Reflecting on my previous message (below, because top posting rules),
would any people on this list be up for a project to develop some
practical guidance for organisations (and their clients) that work
with people who have experienced domestic violence and/or sexual abuse?

In my head, such guidance would be a marriage of three things ...
1. A good tech understanding of the risks of this type of
cyberstalking,, and how to mitigate those risks.
2. Being able to convey point 1 in, as far as is possible, a
non-techie way.
3. Ensuring that both points 1 & 2 do not in any way come over as
victim blaming.

I can do a lot on points 2&3 (but would welcome others getting
involved as well). I'm far less confident on my abilities on point 1 -
which is a requirement to developing point 2.

Anybody interested in such a project?

Cheers

On 17/09/14 22:46, penguin wrote:
> Thought this was an interesting & new (to me) reason why online
> privacy is so important, and why people need to know how to
> control their privacy.
>
> Smartphones Are Used To Stalk, Control Domestic Abuse Victims
>
> http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/15/346149979/smartphones-are-used-to-stalk-control-domestic-abuse-victims
>
>  Extracts ...
>
> You could call it Little Brother, though it's really more like
> husbands and wives, lovers and exes who secretly watch their
> partners — from a distance. They are cyberstalking — using digital
> tools that are a lot cheaper than hiring a private detective.
>
> We found a trend: 85 percent of the shelters we surveyed say
> they're working directly with victims whose abusers tracked them
> using GPS. Seventy-five percent say they're working with victims
> whose abusers eavesdropped on their conversation remotely — using
> hidden mobile apps. And nearly half the shelters we surveyed have a
> policy against using Facebook on premises, because they are
> concerned a stalker can pinpoint location.

- --
penguin

Tweets at https://twitter.com/oxguin
Blogs at http://oxguin.net/