[HacktionLab] Smartphone privacy & domestic violence

Charlie Harvey charlie at newint.org
Thu Sep 18 09:44:11 UTC 2014

Hi,

I'd be interested in helping out. But as ever I can't volunteer lots of
time.

Might be an idea to partner with OSARCC folks as we already know them?

Cheers,

On 18/09/14 00:08, penguin wrote:
> Reflecting on my previous message (below, because top posting rules),
> would any people on this list be up for a project to develop some
> practical guidance for organisations (and their clients) that work
> with people who have experienced domestic violence and/or sexual abuse?
>
> In my head, such guidance would be a marriage of three things ...
> 1. A good tech understanding of the risks of this type of
> cyberstalking,, and how to mitigate those risks.
> 2. Being able to convey point 1 in, as far as is possible, a
> non-techie way.
> 3. Ensuring that both points 1 & 2 do not in any way come over as
> victim blaming.
>
> I can do a lot on points 2&3 (but would welcome others getting
> involved as well). I'm far less confident on my abilities on point 1 -
> which is a requirement to developing point 2.
>
> Anybody interested in such a project?
>
> Cheers

> On 17/09/14 22:46, penguin wrote:
>> Thought this was an interesting & new (to me) reason why online
>> privacy is so important, and why people need to know how to
>> control their privacy.
>
>> Smartphones Are Used To Stalk, Control Domestic Abuse Victims
>
>> http://www.npr.org/blogs/alltechconsidered/2014/09/15/346149979/smartphones-are-used-to-stalk-control-domestic-abuse-victims
>
>>  Extracts ...
>
>> You could call it Little Brother, though it's really more like
>> husbands and wives, lovers and exes who secretly watch their
>> partners  from a distance. They are cyberstalking  using digital
>> tools that are a lot cheaper than hiring a private detective.
>
>> We found a trend: 85 percent of the shelters we surveyed say
>> they're working directly with victims whose abusers tracked them
>> using GPS. Seventy-five percent say they're working with victims
>> whose abusers eavesdropped on their conversation remotely  using
>> hidden mobile apps. And nearly half the shelters we surveyed have a
>> policy against using Facebook on premises, because they are
>> concerned a stalker can pinpoint location.

- --
Charlie Harvey
IT Director
New Internationalist

t: +44 (0)1865 403249
f: +44 (0)1865 403346
w: http://newint.org/
k: http://ox4.li/gpgkey/

New Internationalist is an independent not-for-profit communications
cooperative. Our multi-award winning magazine, New Internationalist,
brings to life the people, the ideas and the action in the fight for
global justice.

New Internationalist Publications Ltd. is incorporated in England
under no.1005239.

New Internationalist, Old Music Hall, 106-108 Cowley Rd.,
Oxford, OX4 1JE, UK