[HacktionLab] Open Source / federated VOIP? (johnc)

johnc johnc at aktivix.org
Sat Jan 3 18:04:50 UTC 2015

Tim's suggestion will definitely work for a situation where you trust
the PBX, don't require federation and have techies on hand to help out
with quite a complex set-up. I'd personally use freeswitch though with
SRTP/TLS for encryption rather than having to deal with the added
complexity of a VPN.

>  Seems a bit of a 'holy grail' this fully encrypted, federated,
> open-source VoIP, as in my experience (medium+ level techie) ...

As regards the above comment there are commercially available encrypted
telephone products in the UK that already work :-)

The blackphone was launched at the IP expo in November last year.

https://store.blackphone.ch/

It uses ZRTP (designed by Zimmerman of PGP fame) and TLS so it works in
a similar way to the ostel project.

I was also at the IP expo plugging the encrypted VOIP solution that the
company I work for provides. It is a trusted man in the middle system
using SRTP/TLS

As regards Kim's announcement, I'm a little sceptical
> https://twitter.com/KimDotcom/status/549429689198968832

The browser Webrtc standard currently says that you only have to
implement DTLS-SRTP. There is however a draft proposal for ZRTP:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johnston-rtcweb-zrtp-00

If you use SRTP you end up doing the key exchange in the TLS protected
SIP channel. That means you have to trust commercial TLS certificates or
work out a way of exchanging certs without a man in the middle attack
occurring.