[HacktionLab] Politics of digital surveillance @Breaking the frame July 9-12th

Jim Killock jim at killock.org.uk
Fri Jun 26 13:47:47 UTC 2015

Hi all

I’d be really interested to know if you’re intending to go and discuss these issues. I’m hoping to be there but I think it’s also important to have a wide range of activists who know about digital tech issues to help the discussion along.

The event is  July 9-12 2015, Unstone Grange, Derbyshire, do let me know if you’ll be going.

The politics of digital surveillance: can we resist the digital Panopticon?

Digital technologies have many empowering features: they can create, process and store ever vaster amounts of information. However they are also enabling vast surveillance, both state and corporate. Corporations are using personal data to monetise our behaviour in a process of enclosure, through capturing personal data and control of “cloud” services. Is digital surveillance just the natural end result of placing powerful technology in the hands of vested interests? Does the state view digital information as a means of controlling risk, and see absence of data as a risk in itself? How do the state and corporations collude, and to what extent are there interest different?

Most vitally of all, what are the strategies to resist or roll back digital surveillance? Can we use legal, social and personal change as tools? Will more whistleblowers like Edward Snowden help? Must we simply assume that power through surveillance will grow inexorably, and if so, how bad will the results be? Are the public and activists fully aware of the scale of the threats?

We want experts, campaigners and users to discuss these questions in a workshop format. Everyone is invited on an equal basis to discuss these questions.

 www.breakingtheframe.org.uk/ <http://www.breakingtheframe.org.uk/>

Jim Killock
jim at killock.org.uk
+44 7894498127