[HacktionLab] 'hacking' experiment / challenge

Yo nowisthetime at riseup.net
Fri May 1 23:03:07 UTC 2015

Hello, an experiment & educational challenge
to hack my computer (with my help)
this is just a personal test (of you and me) and not much more
I was thinking about the reactions, messages & advice about using other
operating systems / Unix stuff / or just changing in general...
and well I thought:
what if I make it really easy, even help someone. could they do it even
if they tried?

I want and like to be able to say I've experienced it and believe
anything about weaknesses, patches that are needed etc. I will set-up a
machine with standard stuff... and even help give you it's info

An example I thought of was: loosing data. A virus or malfunction
*might* get someone to think about backing up! But there's always some
kind of balance in computing... forever the blue moon scenario or
regularly doing it because our data and OS is really worth it.... the
management and social implication to current life (staying up all night,
ignoring the girlfriend etc lots of levels) and what could you even hack
here even give open access?... probably the same stuff you could access
from your own machine the internet !
I know changing OS involves more than just one way of looking at it...
but tech is also more one learning curve or change in a set-up/behaviour
that needs many changes at the same time (and therefore unlikely)
If I could say "yeah it's possible" and not just a myth... I'd be happy

simply try and access / download / hack this machine so I can see what
you mean - can be a variety of things...

Often I think it's maybe NOT that people aren't clever or don't
listen... it's that people aren't equally as clever in trying to phrase
things or show it in a different way... and what is prescribed is not as
that person sees it (e.g. if my laptop dies and I can't copy off the
drive then I'll just buy another one... cause it's only happened 0 or 1
time in my life up until now so why go to that extent and I've got
original copies 'somewhere' and a bunch of pictures is not that
important anyway)

Perhaps if I knew / could see things happening then that would help me
change and it's not just another scary story or 'best practice' when
it's not mine or your best but some other purist's (was thinking of
better word but you know someone in their field who know what is optimal
or good to be prepared for).

what do you think? and anyone interested... happy to discuss off-list... x

hackmylab.0id.org