[HacktionLab] Modern social (networking) problems

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Sat May 9 20:45:51 UTC 2015

Hi All,

An enquiry via the BarnCamp mailbox from people wishing to come this
year made me realise the potential barriers now created by the
mainstream network services.

Someone asked about car-sharing and did we have a Facebook to help
organise this.  We don't have one but my initial answer of "well join a
mailing list of people you don't know, send a single email and perhaps
watch the tumble weed tumble by".  So has anyone got any non-Facebook
ways we can have a little group that'll be interactive enough to solve
this social issue?

(no Crabgrass, no, please)

Also I was thinking about people getting to site, and was asked about if
anyone would be meeting people down in Redbook village.  It's not a bad
idea to have some 'guides' down there people, although most people have
always found it in the past (of course if anyone wishes to volunteer
that'd be great).  I mentioned that we'd have a phone number, but
obviously some for of snapchat or twitter equivalent would be good.
What could we recommend and who's using it anyway?