[HacktionLab] Fwd: Register now for Breaking the Frame!

Mike Harris mike at mbharris.co.uk
Sun May 24 09:05:00 UTC 2015

Dear friends,

Registration for Breaking the Frame 2015 is now open and the gathering
looks set to build on last year's success, so we hope to see you there!
Please forward this message to friends/colleagues, post on social media
etc.  The image below and a pdf of the postcard flyer for the gathering
are attached to this message.  We are still looking for speakers for
some sessions/workshops, and for organisations to be supporters of the
gathering so if you have suggestions, please let us know.  We look
forward to seeing you in July.

Ned

*BREAKING THE FRAME 2: Second Gathering on the Politics of Technology **
**July 9-12 2015, Unstone Grange, Derbyshire *
Organised by CorporateWatch, Scientists for Global Responsibility,
Luddites200 and others

*Come to Breaking The Frame 2 for a fresh conversation on the politics
of technology. Join us in July for 3 days of workshops and campaign
planning, plus music, food by Veggies, walking in the beautiful
Derbyshire countryside, hands-on activities and more*

We live in a world dominated by technology and by systems created by
technical experts. So whether it's where your food and energy comes from
or if there is a right to privacy, almost everything in life is
profoundly shaped by those technologies. Technologies do bring some
genuine benefits, but because their design is almost entirely controlled
by corporate and military technical elites, they tend to reinforce
corporate power and destroy the environment. Breaking The Frame is based
on the idea that everyone has the right to take part in decisions about
technology, and that is crucial to creating an economically just and
sustainable society.

There will be panels on basic technology politics/technocracy,
democratic control of technology, alternative technology and the
transition to an economically just and sustainable society.

Workshops run by leading campaign groups will focus on the technology
politics of food, the workplace, privacy/policing, gender, energy,
health, militarism, mining/infrastructure, etc.

Last year's gathering was supported by more than 20 organisations
<http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/?p=8>. Whether you're a technology
politics campaigner, trade unionist, environmentalist, critical
scientist, developer of alternative technology, artist or plain
concerned citizen, Breaking the Frame is not to be missed.

Booking: places are limited, so you'll need to book in advance. We aim
to ensure that no-one is excluded for reasons of cost.

For those who are travelling from London, a group will be taking the
12.58pm train from St Pancras on Thursday 9th - we'd love you to join us.

For more information visit http://breakingtheframe.org.uk/btf2015/,
contact info at breakingtheframe.org.uk or call 020 7426 0005.