[HacktionLab] Open Source / federated VOIP?

johnc johnc at aktivix.org
Sat Oct 10 12:11:14 UTC 2015

Hi,

For an easy, open source option where security isn't the top priority
use Jitsi meet:

https://jitsi.org/Projects/JitsiMeet

 The Jitsi desktop client has a lot of features but I've stopped using
it largely because of how buggy it is. If you are just using SIP then
Linphone is far superior as regards stability. You can get it for
windows and android too. A few years ago I supported an entire call
centre of people who used that program with little issue.

Ostel + linphone is a good solution. It's not too hard to set up a
similar system that will federate with ostel. This will give you end to
end encryption. I've built and documented a system like this.

ring.cx looks amazing! Thanks for that. The DHT implementation looks
really cool, I think they may have solved the Sybil attack problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybil_attack
https://github.com/savoirfairelinux/opendht/blob/master/README.md

Really easy to install on Debian.

I'm on 9d028169f054f9cd208ec866575cf3005dfb3378 if you want to test :-)

I'm quite up for some telecoms hacking this year if anyone else is?

Cheers,
John