[HacktionLab] Weaving Our Own Web 13/01/2018 Free dayschool in London

Weaving Our Own Web zylum at peacenews.info
Fri Dec 1 10:49:16 UTC 2017

Dear all,
      I hope that I may be able to tempt anyone who is based not too far
from London to join us for this dayschool in January. Full details
follow. The themes: digital tools for campaigning, net security and
online privacy, FLOSS etc. The format is based on a very well received
event which I helped to organise in 2015. The audience: Largely those
with little tech' expertise and some apprehension about using online
tools. There will also be a forum for more experienced techies' to share
ideas.

Below, is the blurb about the event. So far, there are only three
workshops mentioned. So there is still plenty of room in the programme.
It would be great to hear your ideas about the most important topics
with which we should fill the other slots. If you would like to offer a
workshop please make a proposal ASAP. There will likely be something on
PGP /TOR /TAILS and a hands on session with the opportunity to try
various live GNU/Linux distros.
I shall hope to see you there,
Benjamin.

- - - - -

Weaving Our Own Web: Using the Internet to Campaign Effectively and
Strengthen Our Groups.
A Peace News dayschool.

Saturday, 13 January 2018, 10:00-17:30
2 Canonbury Villas, London, N1 2PN.
A wheelchair accessible venue.

This is a dayschool for campaigners to learn more about online tools
that can help their group to organise and win campaigns. It's for people
who are just starting out learning the basics, and for folk who want to
improve their skills. There will also be a forum  for more experienced
techies' to share ideas.

If you can bring a laptop or tablet (or smartphone) that will help you
to get the most out of the day, but there will also be some computers
available. There will be WiFi at the venue.

- - - - -

Workshops and names include:

Emma Sangster (Peace News web person) and others: 'I don't know
anything! A three-part course introducing online campaigning tools'.

Kirk Jackson (IT Coordinator at Campaign Against Arms Trade): 'WordPress
for World-Changing'.

GreenNet (the ethical Internet Service Provider) and others: 'Ask a
techie - a chance to resolve your IT nightmares'.

There will be a strong focus on net security and online privacy.

- - - - -

If you're part of a campaigning group, we recommend coming together with
someone else from your group.

Please reply to this email to book a place and to let us know if you
have any needs that we can help with, including childcare. (Please book
childcare before 31 December.)
mailto://"Weaving_Our_Own_Web"%20<zylum at peacenews.info>

If you have any questions, please do get in touch.

Benjamin and Mil,
from the Peace News team.
https://peacenews.info/node/8853/

- - - - -