[HacktionLab] {Spam?} Mozilla funding RiseUp "scandal"

acesabe acesabe at acesabe.net
Tue Oct 10 11:55:25 UTC 2017

Bit of a shitstorm brewed up by FOSS journo Bryan Lunduke (author of "Linux Sucks" talks and ex Bad Voltage presenter) who after noticing the W3C sneak in DRM into it's standard unchallenged, managed to single handedly expose, challenge and finally crowdfund himself to join (the W3C), presumably to attempt to challenge such corporate backed changes, now goes on to score a bit of an own goal, questioning why Mozilla would fund RiseUp, who he recognizes as "domestic terrorists" (as defined in the US). I would be interested to hear any responses from us Hacktivists, many I guess use RiseUp and might consider themselves 'AntiiFa' as well as users of Mozilla's products, and of course many who don't.

https://mastodon.rocks/@BryanLunduke/2097051

Personally I'm more interested in just how Mozilla manage to have the funds to afford such generosity, Lunduke does question Mozilla's ethics after they've been accused of data mining of userbase for profit in his piece, as well as their funding choices, but overall reaction from those in the Mastodon community (mastodon.rocks instance) sides with anti fascist as fundamentally righteous, but it's a mute point as any terrorist can use any online service which could be backed by any company from anywhere, so pretty sensationalist really, but worth discussion anyway.

.