[HacktionLab] mark up + template -> html (was Drupocalypse v3 Can it ever stop)

ekes ekes at aktivix.org
Sun Apr 29 08:04:15 UTC 2018

On 27/04/18 14:02, U wrote:
> I run drupal sites but let's face it, drupal is dead

Nice troll...

> you can run wordpress headless / just as a CMS without using the templating
> engine. It's as versatile as you want it to be and it is actually maintained

.. but the discussion is about the cost (time, energy, awareness,
knowledge) required for maintaining a site:-

It's super-hip at the moment to do sites headless, I think the majority
of Big Company™ brochure sites, and 'apps', built in Drupal are now
headless. I just can't see how throwing yet another technology stack is
going to help maintenance. You've now got the back-end (that will still
be vulnerable and needs updating. Just because you are only exposing the
API doesn't mean that it's safe AND the front end which is using a whole
other technology.

Not that if someone has a super cool project for a campaign site,
including react or vue.js on Drupal 8, maybe with I dunno a data set in
neo4j and d3 visualisation, I'm not dying to have a go. But for the
campaigns we're talking about I think I'd advise strongly against.

The better ideas here are about:

 * sharing maintenance

   - thus having common code bases
   - shared activist hosting with some support
   - and not embellishing sites with too many additional libraries;

  * rolling out static sites

    - adding functionality with shared services (in preference to the
corp ones) via JS.

So about those services. What do people actually need on their sites
that update more often than when The Admin (it's always one isn't it?)
logs in to update and deploy.  Stuff that needs to be even easier to
update for the other members of the group who can't be arsed to learn
how to admin the site, the guests, people from other groups...

Comments?

Did someone mention Discourse here? Can you embed a forum into a page.
It would seem kinda cool if you could do something like that or similar.
Or just link people off to an instance like
https://forum.disroot.org/t/welcome-to-discourse/8

Events?

There's a little bit of Javascript you can use to put events from
https://radar.squat.net/ onto any website ;-)

Something else?

ekes