[HacktionLab] Facebook exodus & where are people going

Paula Graham paula at fossbox.org.uk
Mon Mar 26 13:32:50 UTC 2018

:D Lots of FB alternatives over the years have offered event calendars, the issue is really about reach. Most people don't trust self organised provision and really don't want to understand multiple domains or keys or debates on encryption protocols and software licensing etc. Therefore alternatives never reach popular 'critical mass'. If your key issue is reach then corporate provision will always work best for you.

Personally, I use meetup for events reach, threema and signal for personal chat, and mastodon for knowing what my friends had for dinner :D

I'm deleting FB because, however popular, it's just too creepy for my taste.

Paula