[HacktionLab] Workshop proposal: Karrot - a tool for self-organised community organising

Nick Sellen hacktionlab at nicksellen.co.uk
Sat Jun 4 11:24:23 UTC 2022

Hey al!! I confirmed my workshop proposal now! It's over at https://hacktionlab.org/index.php?title=HacktionCamp_2022_Workshops#Karrot:_a_tool_for_self-organised_community_organising and I'll include the description in here for interest too...

---

Karrot (https://karrot.world) is an open source tool for self-organised community groups to co-ordinate themselves.

It's currently used mostly by groups across Europe who save food from being wasted, and together the groups record around 3 tonnes of food saved per day, although it's usable for any type of group.

It's one of the few digital tools that does not impose hierarchical admin roles within the group, instead using a trust network system, and democratic processes.

The workshop will be a hands on exploration of what the tool is and how you might use it within different kinds of groups.

I'm really interested to find groups in the UK that might find it a useful tool to support their real-world activities.

You can play around with karrot, before, during, or after the event over here --> https://karrot.world/#/groupPreview/443

---

I'll look forward to see/meeting you all :)

Cheers,

Nick