[HacktionLab] "Breadtube" talk and discussion at Hacktioncamp

Ben bencrosbie at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 16:03:53 UTC 2022

Hi everyone,

I hope it is okay for me to post here.

I am looking forward to Hacktioncamp this weekend and catching up with
anyone that remembers me :)

I am working on a short presentation to deliver this weekend, and thought I
would post about it here to give folks a heads up.

The talk I am working on will be about the current state of "Breadtube".

The term "Breadtube", for anyone who doesn't know, is a very loose label
that has been used to describe left-wing / anarchist leaning media creators
online.  It was originally used to refer to several specific channels and
the content they made on youtube (from ~2016 onwards) but has since grown
in scope to end up being used to refer to a wider variety of content and
platforms.

I will try to be brief, but during the talk I would like to cover
- a brief history of the scene emerging
- some examples of creators and content, plus how successful they have been
- the general positives and negatives of the scene
- the future potential of the scene

Feedback and suggestions welcome.

Cheers,
Ben