[HacktionLab] "Breadtube" talk and discussion at Hacktioncamp

Ben bencrosbie at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 17:45:38 UTC 2022

Here are some links that might help you to do some research in advance...

The closest to an official list of Breadtube creators that exists just now,
would be this list on the Breadtube sub-forum:

https://www.reddit.com/r/BreadTube/comments/9kwkxa/master_list_of_leftwing_youtube_and_podcast/

This list is already a bit out of date, though:
- a ton of new creators who have emerged since it was made.
- also some of the creators listed have gone in a kinda shitty direction

A couple of success stories emerging from the scene:

- Here is a talk Hbomberguy gave about his fundraising stream in 2019
(which raised over $350,000)
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS1k88LzjkQ

- Also, here is an article written about Hasan Piker gaining popularity on
Twitch with his US election coverage in 2020
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/10/style/hasan-piker-twitch.html

One particular show I'd like to recommend is called Red Planet.
- All the people involved in the show have managed to make a career out of
streaming on Twitch and/or making videos on Youtube.
- Red Planet is a weekly show they started this year aimed at encouraging
and helping people to actually get involved in activism IRL.

- 15 minute intro video about Red Planet
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L79DRO9G4Ac

- Archive of Red Planet episodes
  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJdKtu8L8-utNdsHVUIVxxzyLyh4gZEQj

- Organising Interviews playlist (kinda related)
  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLkgdCwhkDvw4lHkZ_Mmq8pupg_9uIAnbY

Another thing I've noticed in the scene, is that there is an interest in
moving away from the big corporate sites.

One example of this can be shown by a number of streamers who have set up
their own personal chat rooms for receiving donations to, while still using
youtube/twitch etc for broadcasting their content.

- The Serfs (who stream every weekday) have a website that is a good
example of this
  https://www.theserfs.tv/

I also managed to chat with a couple of folk who have been running a
Peertube instance for breadtube creators to upload to:
http://watch.breadtube.tv

They also ran a breadtube aggregator site for a bit. The site is offline
now but all the code and database for the site still exists at
https://gitlab.com/breadtube/

Cheers,
Ben